This month we’ve selected 10 of our favourite IoT targeted snaps! And to recap for those of you that may not know, snaps are a new way for developers to package their apps, bringing with it many advantages over the more traditional package formats such as .deb, .rpm, and others. They are secure, isolated and allow apps to be rolled back should an issue occur. Snaps really are the future of Linux application packaging.
Our list this month contains a mix from connecting to Alexa’s Amazon web service to OpenHAB, automation software for your smart home!
- Alexaweb: Connect to Alexa amazon service and ask anything to your device!
OpenHAB: A vendor and technology agnostic open source automation software for your home
- Oxide: Get a full browser working without any display server on your small board. Perfect for digital signage! (snap install oxide-digitalsignage –devmode –beta)
- Induscover: This snap discovers and enumerates PLCs from different vendors and with different protocols in the host that gets passed to discover/plc/in and publishes the output in JSON format into a local MQTT topic discover/plc/out
- Nodered: A tool for wiring together hardware devices, APIs and online services in new and interesting ways
- Nextcloud: Access & share your files, calendars, contacts, mail & more from any device, on your terms
- Predix: This is Predix Time-Series Sample Application. By connecting industrial equipment, analyzing data, and delivering real-time insights, Predix-based apps are unleashing new levels of performance of both GE and non-GE assets.
- Gnss-sdr: An open source Global Navigation Satellite Systems software-defined receiver.
- Awsiot: Automatically registers your device with AWS IoT so you can send data to the cloud. This generates automatically a device, a policy, and certificates so you don’t have to.
- Gogs: Golang based git service and ui to host yourself your own git repo!
Now you know what to install on your Raspberry Pi after it’s flashed with Ubuntu Core! Learn more about Snaps below.