This month we have a selection that might please those of you who like games, with apps like OpenSpades and Pin Town. Our selection is really diverse, from graphics editor Vectr to AnimationMaker, there’s a snap for everyone. Using IRC? Now there’s a snap client for that too!
And if the word snaps doesn’t ring a bell, they are a new way for developers to package their apps, bringing with it many advantages over the more traditional package formats such as .deb, .rpm, and others. They are secure, isolated and allow apps to be rolled back should an issue occur. Also they aim to work on any distribution or device, from IoT devices to servers, desktops to mobile devices. Snaps really are the future of Linux application packaging and we’re excited to showcase some good examples of these each month.
Our May selection:
1. PostgreSQL PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system. It has more than 15 years of active development and a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness.
2. pin-town Welcome to Pin Town ! Home of the Pin Pals (and Gals) ! Help them in their wacky adventures across town in this unique physics puzzle game, inspired by Pachinko.
3. storjshare Earn money by sharing your hard drive space. Daemon + CLI for farming data on the Storj network.
4. openspades Enjoy some first person shooting and construction online with this compatible client of Ace of Spades.
5. Vectr Vectr is a free graphics editor used to create vector graphics easily and intuitively.
6. httplab HTTPLabs let you inspect HTTP requests and forge responses..
7. Atomify LAMMPS Atomify LAMMPS is an easy-to-use visualizer and editor for the molecular dynamics simulator LAMMPS. Atomify supports OpenMP acceleration, live plotting of LAMMPS variables and computes, and an easy to use code editor in one single program. The latter utilizes the powerful machinery already built into LAMMPS to allow easy access to advanced physical quantities. Atomify is open source software written in C++ built on top of Qt.
8. kanagame A simple flashcard based game for learning kana.
9. AnimationMaker This app can be used to create animated movie based on keyframe animations.
10. Convos Convos is the simplest way to use IRC. It is always online, and accessible to your web browser, both on desktop and mobile. Run it on your home server, or cloud service easily.