This newsletter is here to provide a status update from the Ubuntu Foundations Team. There will also be highlights provided for any interesting subjects the team may be working on. If you would like to reach the Foundations team, you can find us at the #ubuntu-devel channel on freenode.
- We encourage flavor teams to file their merge proposals for Ubiquity slideshow updates as soon as possible for inclusion in 17.10.
- Apport has been modified in 17.10 to gather information about python versions on the system to help troubleshoot errors caused when users install unofficial python versions. The report keys are PythonDetails and Python3Details e.g. “/usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.2, python3-minimal, 3.6.1-0ubuntu3”.
- OpenJDK 7 version 7u151-2.6.11-0ubuntu1.14.04.1 has been released for Ubuntu 14.04
- netplan 0.26 has been release to artful
The State of the Archive
- The team worked hard to get the Qt5.9 transition in order, with removals of packages not ported to the new version. This landed as the last major transition before Feature Freeze. Thanks to all who helped get this done in time!
- We have now entered Feature Freeze, and package uploads should be done in accordance with the feature freeze guidelines. https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2017-August/001221.html
- The resolvconf and ifupdown packages have been dropped from the base debootstrap set in artful; new installs of 17.10 will now exclusively use systemd-resolved instead of resolvconf, and NetworkManager/systemd-networkd instead of ifupdown. For background on these changes, see http://blog.cyphermox.net/2017/06/netplan-by-default-in-1710.html
Upcoming Ubuntu Dates